Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Behavior Problems

The Dachshund is a wonderful dog breed and I love mine very much.  They do however need a lot of attention, I mean a lot.  If they don’t get the attention they need, they will show you in some way or another that they are not having it.

A few problems that Dachshunds tend to have are lifting of the leg (in your house or on your things), barking, whining, nipping and a bit of aggressiveness.  They have separation anxiety as well so if you leave them in the other room you will hear them begin to whine.  If I leave the house and leave him alone, as soon as I shut the door behind me I can hear him barking.  I believe he continues this until I return.  He/she may show you they are upset with you leaving by chewing on something or urinating on something.  This is more likely to happen if they do not get daily walks, like they should.


I don’t think Dachshunds are aware of how small they are compared to some of the other big dogs they have no problem challenging. This is where the dog aggression comes in and you need to watch out for that.  They have a lot of courage and have no problem showing it which can be a big behavior issue.  As soon as you bring your Dachshund home, you need to begin the training process immediately. They are very smart dogs and catch on quickly so just be consistent and stern with your tone when needed.  You are going to have some accidents and some tough moments, but that’s really with any dog.  Dachshunds are such wonderful dogs with the best personalities and that makes this all worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment